Skip to main content

Rescue a black-and-white film photograph taken in 1983.(OSAKA-JAPAN)  Digital preservation of soiled film.  汚損劣化フイルムの現状デジタル保存

$ This article is written by translating from the original Japanese text into English with a translation tool.
*日本語の原文から翻訳ツールで英訳などをして書かれています。



A simple explanation.

・I scanned a film shot in black and white in the 1980s for preservation.
・There was a lot of damage and some scanning failures occurred.
(Digitalization is more difficult than expected.)
・The shooting period is 3 months.
・I'm showing off a few photos from that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I had a film negative in my house taken by a relative who was a student in the 1980s.

Unfortunately, the storage condition was poor, and about 30% of them were dirty or deteriorated, but I decided to take this opportunity to hurry up and import them to my computer.

After starting the scan, I found that the negative was Kodak's black-and-white film = Tri-X.( Safety film 5063 ) 
*etc... https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/kodak-safety-film-5063-an-unexpected-gift.140703/ 


At first I thought it was a photographic film for my house. However, since the photo was black and white even though it was in the 1980s, I knew that it was taken by a relative who had a hobby of photography and travel when he was a student.
(The photo seems to be related to the class at the university.)


The reason is that when I cleaned and dismantled the storeroom, I kept it at my house and then forgot it.


And the number of digitized films was about 400, which is equivalent to 12 films.

It was taken by a student and there weren't many good quality pictures. = There were few best shots.
(By the way, the camera and lens are unconfirmed, but it's probably a cheap Canon product.)

In this article, I will post some photos that I have taken in for the time being and that can be viewed.

Also the image of other damage.

Many of them have been resized and trimmed for upload.



The scanner used is a 2003 model
There were multiple issues when working.
In particular, the dust removal function is completely useless for storage purposes.
Software processing causes mistakes and disappearances.


(こちらは今回使用した機械・スキャナ  なんと2003年モデル)
途中から気付いたことの一つとしてホコリ除去機能は役に立ちませんでした。
また、色修正もプレビューの表示が小さいことから(手動では)失敗が目立ちました。


光を通したフィルムを12MPカメラで撮影してみた例
An example of shooting film directly with a 12MP camera


それではどうぞ。   Please enjoy it.



McDonald's cap for children.
(Bonus? Happy set? He is called Donald in Japan.)


I now think that color photography was more desirable.


What turned out during this plan was a big problem.
A line of about 1 dot will be inserted in a straight line (vertically or horizontally).
That's a lot of pictures.
The cause was not the scanner.
It was a structural scratch on the film, probably due to a small amount of dust that had entered at the time of shooting.
(The pressure plate and film room are suspected.)


At first I doubted the scanner,


 but as I repeated it, I felt that there were many of the same patterns on the same negative, and when I tested it by shifting it from the fixed position and angle of the scan,I was convinced that lines appeared diagonally instead of horizontally and vertically. 

https://photo.site-j.net/tubuyaki/vol316.html
https://nikkorin.exblog.jp/7720132/

According to an old Japanese blogger, it's not uncommon for the film to be scratched, which made me a little shocked.


1983
I think that such billboard advertisements are decreasing now.
(2020-2021)



I don't really like the police, but I prefer the old two-wheeled vehicle as a design to the current motorcycle.

The final of Japan's number one tournament for high school baseball in Japan (Koshien). Immediately after the victory is decided.
The one in the worst condition.






that's all.  thank you.



Japanese original text

私の家に1980年代に学生だった親類が撮影したフィルム・ネガが置いてありました。
生憎保存状態が悪く、汚損劣化した部分が4~5分の1ほどを占めましたが
勿体ないので急いでパソコンに取り込むことにしました。

その作業を開始して間もなく、そのフィルムがコダックの黒白フィルムであることに気付きました。

初めは以前やりかけてすぐに投げ出した私の家のものかと思っていたそのフィルムが1980年代であるにも関わらず白黒だったことから、若い頃写真を習ったり趣味にしていた親類の撮影したものであった訳です。
これには理由があって、一時家屋解体の際ひとまず家へ保管の為持ち帰ったっきりそのままにして忘れていたというものです。


かくして取り掛かったフィルムは計12本分、約400枚といったところでしたが、それはやはり学生が習いながらに撮影したものでそれ程良い写真は実際のところありませんでした。
(そういえばカメラとレンズは未確認ですが、恐らくキャノンの廉価品でしょう。)


この記事ではその取り敢えずは取り込んだ中から多少披露してもいいと思える写真を何枚か投稿しています。





Comments

Popular posts from this blog